FAQ Videos

What is a College Expense Under Illinois Law?

DuPage County Divorce Lawyers Assisting You with Your Child Support Responsibilities

As of January 2016, Illinois family laws have changed. These updates include specifics on how divorced parents can assist their children in paying for college education.

"College expenses” can include the following:

  • The actual cost of tuition and additional fees
  • Housing expenses both on-campus or off-campus
  • Clothing, food, and transportation
  • Medical and dental insurance expenses
  • Textbooks, computers, and other supplies

These costs vary from college to college. Illinois law compares these expenses and costs to a student who attends the University of Illinois. If your child plans to attend a school that costs more than these average prices, you may not be required to assist in payment.

When Am I Allowed to Stop Paying?

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we make sure that you are not paying longer than you have to for your child's education. Illinois law has determined this length of time. Once your child reaches his or her 23rd birthday, you are no longer obligated to continue payment. In some cases, however, if both parents agree, the expenses can be extended no further than the child's 25th birthday.

College education support can also be terminated earlier in a handful of different situations before the child is 23. For example, if the child cannot maintain a “C” average grade in their classes, support can be terminated. The only exception to that rule is if an illness or another cause prevented their student from maintaining good grades. Other examples include if the child has completed their Bachelor's degree or marries.

At MKFM Law, it is our mission to make these sensitive subjects easier and relieve you of any pressure that can be taking a toll. Our team of lawyers are are always here to help, so contact our office today. Call 630-665-7300 for a consultation. Our services range to DuPage County cities such as Wheaton, Naperville, Carol Stream, andDowners Grove, as well as to Kane County and Kendall County.

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2019 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top