How Can I Reduce My Child Support Obligation in Illinois?

Kane County divorce attorney child support

When a couple gets divorced, there are many issues that need to be addressed. The amount of child support a parent pays is calculated using the “Income Shares” model in Illinois. Both parents’ net incomes are used to determine a child support payment amount that is reasonably affordable yet still provides the recipient parent with the financial support he or she needs. However, when the parents’ circumstances change, the child support order may no longer be appropriate. If you are interested in modifying the amount you pay in child support, you will need to show that a child support modification is warranted.  

Modifying an Illinois Child Support Order

In order to qualify for a modification, you will need to show that there has been a “substantial change in circumstances” that justifies the change or that the current order does not adequately address the child’s health care needs. You may also be granted a modification if the child support obligation significantly differs from the statutory guidelines in the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.

What Is a Substantial Change in Circumstances?

If you wish to change the amount you pay in child support, you will only be granted a modification if it is warranted. Many people wonder exactly what the phrase “substantial change in circumstances” means when it comes to child support modifications. You may be able to reduce your child support obligation if you were fired or laid off from your job. You may also be granted a child support modification if you experienced a significant pay cut. However, this pay cut must be made in good faith. If a parent quits his or her job or intentionally takes a job making less money in the hopes of reducing child support, the court will likely deny the modification request. You may also qualify for a reduced child support obligation if the recipient parent has experienced a significant increase in income.

Contact a St. Charles Divorce Lawyer

Child support concerns can often be complicated and challenging to navigate on your own. At MKFM Law, we offer reliable guidance and strong legal representation to parents who need to modify their child support orders. To learn more about how we can help you, call our office today at 630-665-7300 and schedule a confidential consultation with one of our skilled Kane County child support attorneys.



NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

Recent Blog Posts


1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2024 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top
Contact Us
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree