Actor Nicolas Cage Files for Annulment Just Four Days After Wedding

St. Charles family law attorneysLas Vegas has become heavily associated with quick weddings and, sometimes, quick divorces. Las Vegas is not only the “city of lights” but also the marriage capital of the world. Clark County, Nevada, the county in which Las Vegas is located, issues over 100,000 marriage licenses each year. Of course, Las Vegas is also known for being a city full of alcohol and partying. Sometimes, the combination of inexpensive and quick marriage services plus the availability of alcohol results in some marriages spouses regret. In such a case, couples may be able to file for an annulment, which is technically called a Declaration of Invalidity of Marriage. An annulment differs significantly from divorce, and only certain married couples are eligible for an annulment in Illinois.

Cage Says He Was Too Intoxicated to Understand His Actions 

Getting married is a huge decision which should not be taken lightly. When drugs or alcohol cloud the thinking of individuals getting married, it is possible for the marriage to be reversed. Academy Award-winning actor Nicolas Cage filed for annulment last week on the grounds that he was too drunk to understand his actions when he married his girlfriend. He also mentions that at the time of the marriage, he was unaware that his girlfriend was involved in another relationship.

Grounds for Annulment in Illinois

Couples who regret getting married cannot simply have the marriage declared invalid for no reason. A Declaration of Invalidity is only granted by Illinois courts when at least one of the following criteria is met:

  • One or both of the spouses could not consent to the marriage due to mental incapacity, illness, or the influence of alcohol, drugs or other debilitating substances;
  • A spouse entered into the marriage through force, duress, or fraud;
  • One of the spouses lacks the ability to consummate the marriage through sexual intercourse and the other spouse was not aware of this at the time of the marriage;
  • Either party was under 18 years of age and did not have the required parental consent or judicial approval; or
  • The marriage is prohibited.

Certain marriages are prohibited according to Illinois law. For example, if one party is already married to someone else, they cannot marry a second person (bigamy). Marriage between siblings and other close family members is also prohibited.

Contact a St. Charles, Illinois Family Law Attorney

Contact an experienced Kane County family law lawyer for more information about annulment. Schedule a confidential consultation at MKFM Law by calling 630-635-7300 today.



NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.

Recent Blog Posts


1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2024 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top
Contact Us
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree