FAQ Videos

What If My Child Refuses to go to Parenting Time (Formerly Known as Visitation)?

DuPage County Family Law Lawyers Discuss how Parenting Time Should Be Exercised

After a divorce, courts encourage both parents to be actively involved in their child's life and to help the child achieve his or her life goals. Sometimes, however, children refuse to visit one parent for several reasons. Understanding how to respond to your child's objections to parenting time is essential so you can avoid potentially being held liable for not respecting the other parent's parenting time and the court's order.

Previously known as visitation, parenting time is defined as the time spent by a parent with the child. During a parent's parenting time, he or she is endowed with non-significant decision-making responsibilities. This means that the parent is responsible for the child's health and well-being during this time. As long as the parent has the child during parenting time, he or she needs to ensure that the child is taken care of and that the child is safe.

What to Do if Your Child Objects to Parenting Time

A child cannot decide to miss school or a doctor's appointment without the parent's approval. Parenting time works the same way. A child cannot determine how parenting time should be exercised. A parent needs to facilitate and encourage parenting time between the child and the other parent according to the parenting plan. If the child objects to parenting time, the parent must try to find the cause of the objection, so he or she can address the situation through counseling or other professional services. If the parent fails to have their child exercise parenting time, the parent may be held in contempt of the court ordered parenting time agreement.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we have extensive family law experience assisting clients in DuPage, Kane, and Kendall counties. To receive the representation you deserve, contact one of our highly skilled DuPage County family law attorneys at 630-665-7300 for a personalized consultation today.

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2018 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 309 Walnut Street, Unit B, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top