FAQ Videos

What If My Former Spouse Does Not Use the Child Support For Our Children? Can I Demand an Accounting?

DuPage County Divorce Lawyers for Child Support Payment Misuse

If you suspect that your ex-spouse may not be using your child support payments for your children's expenses, there cannot be any request of accounting of your ex-spouse's finances. Unfortunately, you cannot try reveal how the money or where it was spent. For decades, the attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC have helped clients with cases such as these and can explain why laws like this are in place.

According to the Illinois law, when the court determines how much child support you will be paying, the guidelines state that the amount will be the minimum. This means the minimum is calculated based on what is considered adequate care for your children. Included in this care is food, clothing, housing, and any other necessities that may arise.

Since you are only paying the minimum, there is no accounting required by your ex-souse on how every dollar is spent. This is due to the fact that the number one priority of the court is that your children are given adequate care from you and/or your ex-spouse. If you believe you should have your child support payment amount changed for any reason, that is something our attorneys can address with a post-decree modification.

Contact Our Wheaton Divorce Attorneys

It may be tough to see your ex-spouse seemingly spend money on something not intended for your children. At MKFM Law, our lawyers are here to ensure that your child's rights are protected. If you would like us to explain more about the laws involving your Illinois child support payments, or anything else regarding your divorce, please contact us. Call today at 630-665-7300. With offices located in Wheaton, Illinois, we have helped clients with divorces throughout DuPage, Kane, and Kendall Counties. Set up a consultation with our skilled team as soon as possible.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2024 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top
Contact Us
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree