FAQ Videos

Can I Get Maintenance or Child Support While My Divorce is Pending?

Temporary Orders Address Imminent Needs

While your divorce is pending, you may be able to get maintenance or child support by requesting what is known as temporary relief. Depending on the circumstances of your case, a temporary order can be entered allowing you to receive maintenance payments, child support, parental responsibilities (also known as child custody), or parenting time (visitation)with your child, and other considerations.

In addition to being expensive and stressful, divorce can also be extremely time-consuming. The process can sometimes take weeks, months, or even longer to complete. Despite a pending divorce, however, your life cannot simply stop and wait for a resolution. You still need to make your mortgage payments, buy clothing and food, and adequately provide for your children. Meeting your obligations can be quite difficult when the outcome of your divorce is uncertain.

DuPage County Divorce Attorneys for Temporary Orders

Under the Illinois law, either party in a divorce can file a motion for temporary relief. The court must consider your unique circumstances when making a decision, and it is important to remember that a temporary order may not become part of the final divorce judgment. Most often, temporary relief is ordered to provide financial security during the divorce, usually in the form of maintenance or child support payments. Temporary orders, however, can also address allocation of parental responsibility issues, parenting time, access to the marital home, and other concerns.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, our experienced attorneys understand that, during a divorce, you may feel completely overwhelmed. With our skills and knowledge of the law, we can help you seek the temporary relief you need to provide the peace of mind you deserve. No matter how complex your divorce may seem, we can often simplify the process while securing a favorable outcome.

If you are going through a divorce and would like to know more about requesting temporary maintenance or child support, contact our office. Call 630-665-7300 for a confidential consultation today. MKFM Law is proud to serve clients throughout DuPage County, Kane County, Kendall County, and Will County.

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2024 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top
Contact Us
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree