FAQ Videos

Can I Be Forced to Pay for My Child's Illinois College Expenses?

DuPage County Divorce Lawyers Helping Explain Key Factors of College Expenses

When a couple finalizes a divorce, most of the financial responsibilities and issues may be resolved. However, for individuals with children, it is drastically different. There may be crucial financial questions to contend with, such as: "Who will pay for the child's college education?"

To help determine how much, if any, parents can contribute to their child's college expenses, these factors are examined:

  • The financial resources of both of the divorced individuals
  • The standard of living the child would have been allowed if the parent's marriage had not concluded
  • The child's academic performance prior and during the divorce to determine if they are able to attend college

Financial aid is another factor the courts will consider in the process. In most instances, the custodial parent will fill out a FAFSA to determine if their child qualifies for financial aid. If the child has offers for scholarships, loans, or financial aid, the court could rule the child take those offers to help reduce the cost for both parents in paying for college.

What if My Child Wants to Attend a Private School?

Every state has different factors that play into whether or not you will be required to pay for your child's education if they want to attend a private school. In certain scenarios, if a public college or university offers the same benefits and courses, your child may have to attend the latter in order to receive financial assistance from you.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, our goal is to help make a process like this easier to grasp regarding your child's college education. Contact us today and we will make sure you will not be paying more than you can afford. We will also help determine if your ex-husband or ex-wife is contributing what he or she should too. Call us at 630-665-7300 to set up an initial consultation. We serve in Kane, Kendall, and DuPage Counties including the cities of Wheaton, Carol Stream, Downers Grove, and Naperville.

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
© 2019 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top