Waiting for Resize
FAQ Videos

Video Gallery

Family Law & Divorce


When Can an Illinois Child Support Order Be Modified?

Situations may arise where you or your spouse need to modify the amount of child support you or your spouse is paying. These support obligations give you the option to change them depending on what the cause may be. The modification process with child support laws and guidelines can be difficult to navigate, but our attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can help simplify the process with our years of experience.

If you would like to modify your child support agreement, you will need to file a motion with the court. Our attorneys will need to show that there has been a substantial change in your state of affairs since the original obligation was established. Depending on your circumstances, the amount of child support required can increase or decrease.

However, the court can only make this adjustment based on the date the motion was filed. It is significant that you file as soon as you possible when learning of any financial changes in your life. Some reasons that may cause you to want to change your support payment may be a change in you or your spouse's income, including:

  • Substantial changes to any expenses;
  • Movement of your geographical location;
  • If your child does not live with you or your spouse; and
  • If your child has a disability.

On the surface, calculations can seem simple but in fact can be confusing. That is where our team at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can help. Contact one of our attorneys to set up a consultation. We can help you to be sure that everything you are filing for is in compliance with Illinois laws. We assist clients child support and many other family law related cases. Call us at 630-665-7300 today. We serve clients in DuPage, Kane, and Kendall Counties.

How Do We Tell Our Children About Our Divorce in Illinois?

Deciding how and when to tell your children about your divorce can be tough if you and your spouse do not execute it with a fair amount of planning. Every situation is different, but ideally the best is to give this information on a united front.

It may not always be possible to tell your children with your spouse at your side, but that is what is recommended. This way you can assure your child that they are still going to be loved, cared for, and can lean on you for support during the changes they are about to go through. If you can, choose your timing carefully and keep everything you are saying to your child about the divorce simple.

They could possibly have a friend to talk to who has parents have gone through a divorce and understand what is going to be ahead of them. However, you should try to plan to answer any and all questions your children may have. Prepare yourself for how they could react. Some children instantly show their sadness or anger while other children hold in their feelings.

Avoid the blame game and instead of making the news about you or your spouse's issues, make it about your child and their needs. If your marriage is completely over then be sure to tell them that and be consistent. Some children can be convinced their parents will get back together when that is not always the case.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we understand that telling your children about divorce is hard. We have been helping families through these tough times for decades. For more advice or information on subjects of this nature, please contact us for an initial consultation. Call 630-665-7300 to speak with our DuPage County attorneys. Our office is located in Wheaton, Illinois, and we have assisted clients in other neighboring counties such as Kane County and Kendall County.

Should I File for Divorce First in Illinois?

Filing for divorce before your spouse can have more advantages than you would think. It can be difficult to accept a divorce is imminent, but it can be a benefit to yourself, in the long run, financially and legally, if you file sooner rather than later. If you believe your marriage has reached the point of being insurmountable, then reach out to the attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC. We can help explain your options and move forward.

When we mention that there are advantages to filing for divorce first, it is not to encourage racing to that conclusion. It is simply to allow yourself time to prepare and plan. Here are a handful of steps you take ahead of time if you are preparing for divorce:

  • Contact attorneys to setup your legal team;
  • Gather any documentation that will be needed before proceedings begin; and
  • Ensure you have access to funds or a credit line

In addition to these suggestions, you can prevent your spouse from hiding any assets that could belong to you. When you file for divorce first, this makes you the petitioner and the plaintiff. This allows you to choose which county your divorce will have the proceedings and the ability to present your case first for litigation in your case. Under Illinois Law, there is a No-Fault Policy, which means couples can separate based on irreconcilable differences instead of needing any legal reason to be divorcing.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we have had decades of experience with family and divorce cases in Kane County, DuPage County, and Kendall County. Please contact us with any questions you may have to set up a consultation. We can help guide your way through this difficult time financially and legally to set you up for life after marriage. Call us at 630-665-7300, so we can help you.

How are Divorce, Legal Separation, and Annulment Different in Illinois?

When you are examining various methods of separation between you and your spouse, it is important to know the differences between your options. Before acting, it is important that you speak to an experienced attorney. At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we can help you navigate which route is best for your situation.

A divorce is a complete dissolution of a marriage which leads to what is called a judgment for "dissolution of marriage." This process addresses all of the issues between former spouses such as parenting time for any children you may have, other parental responsibilities, who will be paying child support, distribution of any debts or assets you two share together, and if one of you will have to pay maintenance to your spouse.

The main difference between divorce and legal separation is that a separation does not dissolve the marriage. In order to perform a legal separation, you and your spouse must be living apart from one another. You and your spouse can fill out a legal separation agreement to determine the allocation of certain parental duties or payments such as child support or maintenance. Property cannot be divided unless you and your spouse have agreed.

As for an annulment, it is actually a religious term that is not recognized under Illinois law. You may seek what is known as an "invalidity of marriage," which is a lack of consent due to mental incapacity, being under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, underage, or physical unable to consummate the marriage.

At Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, we have have been proceeding over family law and divorce cases since 1949. If you live in the DuPage County, Kendall County, or Kane County, contact us to set up an initial consultation for any questions you may have. You can reach our Wheaton, Illinois, office at 630-665-7300 for more information.

How Do I Know How Much My Illinois Self-Employed Spouse Makes?

When your ex-spouse is self-employed, it may seem like there is no way to establish how much they make. Let us at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC, investigate those details to put your mind at ease. We can employ a number of practices that to come across the most precise figure that represents the income of your self-employed ex-partner.

It may seem difficult, but there are different ways to find out how much your ex is making even when he or she is self-employed. One of the first actions our divorce attorneys can take is to look over you and your spouse's federal and state tax returns for the potential indication. If that income that was reported does not fit the lifestyle you and your ex-spouse have enjoyed, it may lead to further investigation to find the true income of your partner.

Another option we have is to obtain documentation from the business or third parties to help fill in any missing information. Next, we can look into obtaining any loan applications for your spouse to discover the income they claimed. We can also pull bank statements or credit card statements to assist in the search. On these statements, we can locate actual deposit and payment amounts to track down the true number that is their income.

All of these procedures may seem to be an insurmountable amount of work but leave that to our staff of attorneys can help you resolved the issues. Our team here at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC takes our knowledge of family law to and serves clients throughout the area.

We help those located in Wheaton, Carol Stream, Downers Grove, Naperville, Oak Brook, and throughout the area. Please contact us for assistance in Kane, DuPage or Kendall County. Call our law firm at 630-665-7300 to set up a consultation to get answers to any questions you may have during this stressful time.

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100
Wheaton, IL 60189
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

We serve clients throughout Kane County, Illinois including St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elgin, Algonquin, Aurora, Barrington Hills, Bartlett, Big Rock, Burlington, Campton Hills, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elburn, Hampshire, Huntley, Kaneville, Maple Park, Sleepy Hollow, Wayne, West Dundee as well as throughout DuPage County.

Make a Payment
Facebook Google+ Linked In Twitter Youtube
© 2018 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 309 Walnut Street, Unit B, St. Charles, IL 60174 | 630-549-0960
Take me to top