How Much Parenting Time (Formerly Called Visitation) Will I Receive in Illinois?
DuPage County Attorneys Helping to Clarify Questions Regarding Illinois Parenting Time
The first question most parents ask when going through their divorce is: "How much time will I be allowed to spend with my children?" Our team of DuPage County attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can help you explain what you need to know. What used to be called "visitation" is now referred to as "parenting time," along with other law changes.
In Illinois, there is no law on the minimum amount of parenting time. The allotted time varies on a case-by-case basis, but there are some typical examples. Time for a parent that is not considered the parent with the majority of the parenting time generally alternates weekends. The weekends start from Friday morning until Sunday evening. In some cases, the parent may also receive one or two evenings during the week for dinner with the child. Each family's specific needs are different but extended time is also allowed for periods where the child has school off such as holidays, school breaks, or the child's birthday.
When deciding who is awarded majority parenting time with the child, the court judges based on the best interest of the child. While coming to this conclusion, the court will look over some of the following factors:
- The wishes of the child, depending on your child's age, maturity and education;
- You and your spouse's wishes;
- What the adjustment will be for the child in regards to schooling, their home, and community;
- The physical and mental health of you, your spouse, and your child;
- If either parent has any past or ongoing acts of violence against the other parent or your child; and
- How willing you and your ex are willing to encourage a close ongoing relationship between your ex-partner and the child.
Contact Our DuPage County Visitation Lawyers
The attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC are eager to help you with all the questions you may have. Contact us to set up an initial consultation at 630-665-7300. If you have recently divorced and are working on finding out how much parenting time you are entitled to, visit our Wheaton, Illinois, office. We have helped families throughout DuPage County, Kendall County, and Kane County for generations.